22 Why Projects Fail!? Wah, Wah, Wahhhhh
This time we talk about our vast experience with failed projects. Project "X" is the big topic but there were others.
Why do so many projects fail? Well, in our experience, it has to do with some combination of the following:
- Statement of Work
- Conditions of Satisfaction
- Define "Done"
- Define Assumptions
- Can change - just not constantly
- Good ones can actually be tested
- Use Business Analysts for appropriate context
- Build and Deployment: How to get the application created and installed - always underestimated
Cover your ass with detailed status reports (Weekly!)
- What did you do this week
- What is planned for next week
- What did you do that was unplanned (KEY! - This is why you didn't finish everything you planned)
- What resources do you need to get the job done
- What issues are blocking you
Document, Document, Document!!!
Failing project sound effect: http://www.SadTrombone.com